How to use an escalator?
STIB-MIVB has placed safety pictograms at the entrance of each escalator informing the travellers on the proper behaviour to adopt. Example of a pictogram on our network:
"Keep your balance on the escalator and get safely to your destination."
Here are some tips and tricks to safely use an escalator:
- Take your time before using an escalator.
- Step on and off carefully! For example: do not use your phone, make sure your right hand is free, etc.
- Stand to your right and keep a firm grip on the handrail for the duration of the escalator ride. If your hands are full, take the elevator or the stairs.
- Keep your feet away from the sides and the brushes. Loose clothing or shoelaces can easily get stuck. (Pay particular attention if you are wearing soft-soled shoes.)
- Hold your children's hand firmly and watch them during your journey.
- If you have a stroller or a shopping trolley, take the elevator instead or feel free to ask others for help to take the stairs.
Prohibited behaviour – What you absolutely CANNOT do:
- Running on an escalator
- Playing on an escalator (skateboard, scooter, hoverboard, ball, etc.)
- Sitting on an escalator
- Hanging out at the escalator access (entrance/exit)
Enjoy your journeys while travelling safely!
In case of a fall or if you injure yourself on an escalator, please contact us via the red SOS terminals in our stations.